Sunday, June 1, 2014

Is a faster monitor refresh rate better than a slower one?




Jonathan W


Is a faster monitor refresh rate better than a slower one?

I'm just after performance, increase my fps in games - nothing more.

Many thanks.



Answer
For FPS in games it is going to make no difference.


For usage, it depends.

You need a fast enough refresh rate that the screen will not flicker. For LCDs that is 60 Hz. For CRTs most people are happy at 75 Hz. Some need to run at 85 Hz.

You also want as low a refresh rate as possible. The electronics in the video card and the monitor have a limited slew rate - the time taken to change the voltage from one level to another level - So the shorter the pixel time the higher percentage of time that the electronics spends changing the voltage level and the shorter the time actually spent at the correct level. Higher vertical refresh rates or resolutions mean higher horizontal scan rates which means shorter pixel times.

The problems seen due to this is jitter in LCD monitors, and dim vertical lines and blurring of the image in CRT monitors.


Set LCDs to a 60 Hz refresh rate, and CRTs to 75 Hz. If you can still perceive flicker on the CRT when looking off to one side then up the refresh rate to 85 Hz.

Monitor Refresh Rate?




dratier198


So I was playing DMC 4, and didn't notice that the refresh rate was defaulted to 75 hz. My monitor supports no higher than 60 hz ( am using an LG W2252TQ). Since I am hooked up DVI-D, the refresh rate was forced anyway. I noticed the game was really straining my eyes, so I turned the refresh rate down to 60 hz. However, I still feel like the monitor is straining my eyes.

I had heard that setting your refresh rate too high could damage the monitor. Do you think I'm suddenly feeling this now because I damaged something, or am I probably just obsessing over it? Also, COULD that really damage the monitor? Thanks.
Also, I was only running DMC on 75hz for 5-10 minutes max.
So far the answers are good. However, I have had this monitor for a while and it has never strained my eyes until now, and I am in front of it about four hours daily. Also, in Windows, if I check "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" it goes up to 60 hz maximum.



Answer
You should be fine.

If the monitor is LCD, you'll have a tough time 'damaging' it by playing around with refresh rate settings.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is a faster monitor refresh rate better than a slower one?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment