Monday, April 7, 2014

Which of these gaming monitors do you recommend?




chris


I am looking for a good gaming laptop for the new pc I am buying. My budget is around 300(preferably 250) I prefer 24" 2ms but other than that nothing specific.
Here is what I have so far.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236288

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006HIKIP6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0EBXT7YXD3RF4F1XV6GE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HSKSP0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AANSFONOCR8T3

I have one in there that is 27" but I had heard that anything above 24 doesn't tend to be the best for gaming especially with my budget. Opinions on these? Suggestions for others? Please and thank you!!
Additional question: Do I need special cables or anything for running hd or anything?



Answer
The size of the monitor doesn't affect whether it's good for gaming. It affects your visible pixel density at a given viewing distance (assuming the same physical resolution, like 1080p). For any monitor, there is a minimum distance away from the screen you must be, or you'll see the dot pitch of the pixels and the screen will look grainy. At 1080p, that distance is about the same as the diagonal measurement of the screen. ex: you'll want your eyes at least 2 feet away from a 24" monitor to avoid seeing the screen's grain. for a 27" monitor, you only need to be a few inches further away to avoid seeing the grain. In the end they will look the same though... being closer to a smaller screen or further from a larger screen gives you the same relative field of view. so you only really need 'bigger' if A) you plan to watch video or something from further away, or B) you have a resolution greater than 1080p. I use a 32" 1080p tv for a monitor, but I have it about as far away from me as the desk will allow, so that my eyes are a good meter away from it. My up-side is that it's also a bedroom tv.

2ms response... not a big deal at all. Some older lcd's had response times of up to 50ms, and those had noticeable drawbacks. Modern monitors are all solid on response times for gaming. If you can physically see the difference between 2ms response and 5ms response, then you're not human (that's 0.002 seconds vs. 0.005 seconds). It's less difference than a single FPS (frame per second) coming out of your graphics card. and bear in mind that most multiplayer online games will have internet latencies of 30ms-150ms. So 3-4ms difference in the monitor is "nothing".

The second monitor on your list, the 23" asus with the IPS screen... is going to look much nicer. IPS screens have great viewing angles, they look awesome. The faster 2ms TN screens will have dark areas and distorted colors at the edges, their viewing angles require you to be dead center in front of the monitor, and on bigger monitors you can't be dead center in front of the whole thing. Plus TN screens have gray-ish blacks. TN screens are not worth a couple ms of response time, not at all. In every area except response time and low cost, they under-perform.

Of your listed choices, i'd get the 23" IPS screen from Asus. But I think you should shop around 24" IPS and VA screens (with mostly 4ms-8ms response times) to see if you can find more to pick from without limiting yourself to the 2ms of TN screens. Personally, I love 27" at desktop distance, but I like to sit back in my tilting chair. 32" tv works fine too, but i had to rearrange the desk to get it a bit further from me. If you can find a 24" or 27" IPS led monitor, from a non-junk brand within your budget, get it.

PS: vga/dsub cables work fine as long as your monitor has a port for that. you can also use DVI-to-VGA cables, DVI cables with a vga adapter. better: DVI-to-HDMI cables, or DVI-to-DVI if your monitor has a DVI port. or hdmi-to-hdmi if your graphics card has an hdmi-out. lots of options, depending on the monitor's ports, and your graphics card's ports. people say dvi & hdmi look better than vga, but I can't see much difference really. local chain stores overcharge by as much as 1000% for some cables, if you get any cables, get them online.

Is a 2ms response time a big difference from a 5ms?




Name


I want to get a monitor for gaming and movies, I found two. One has a 2ms response time and one has 5ms response time. Which should I get? I have heard mixed opinions on whether it matters or not to have 2 vs 5.


Answer
before you can click your fingers both monitors would be on
so i don't think you would notice the difference




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Which of these gaming monitors do you recommend?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment