Sunday, August 25, 2013

How does more memory in your graphics card help?

gaming multi monitor setup
 on setup easycap dc60 my xbox 360 capture setup easycap dc60 related ...
gaming multi monitor setup image



Matthew


I'm getting a dell xps17 with nvidia gt555m 3gb. I looked at the Alienware m14x and it had the same card with 1.5gb. How does more gb on the card help for intense gaming?? Thanks :)


Answer
Video graphics memory is used to load images and textures into the GPU, which allows the graphics card to process and display images on your screen.

Now here's the thing. You either have enough, or not enough memory. For e.g if a game consumes a total of 850MB of memory and you have 1GB, then generally speaking everything is fine since there is enough memory to accomodate the games' graphical assets.

However, if the game demands more memory and the VRAM isn't enough to accomodate the graphical assets, then the gaming performance suffers considerably.

In other words, having more than what you need won't add anything to performance -- you either have enough, or not enough.

Most games however, don't require much memory beyond 1GB, let alone 1.5 GB to play well so having that much memory is usually overkill for most situations.

On a laptop, 3GB of video RAM is fairly unncessary considering that you won't be using a multi-monitor setup to play games.

PC: Is it worth the extra money for extra GPU memory?




Sir Walrus


I'm planning on purchasing a GTX 680. I'm leaning towards the 2GB version, because my monitor will only support 1080p, but I'm planning on eventually running SLI 680's at possibly 1600p if I get the monitor, so Will it be worth it now to spend the extra for the 4GB? I know more GPU memory is mainly helpful at high res, but I'm not sure I want to spend more money right now.
I'll be buying the reference MSI version of the 680 because I preffer the way it exausts air over the Asus and Galaxy models.

So, would you suggest spending extra money now to have what I need in the future? Also, anyone here have a reference 680? What kind of temps and noise do you get under load? Thanks.



Answer
For a multi monitor setup or gaming above 1080p, more RAM would be useful. Otherwise it doesn't really get utilized.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How does more memory in your graphics card help?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment