Friday, January 31, 2014

computer monitor vs. tv?







Hi guys~

I used to have my 27inch HDTV connected to my computer.
And then when I switched to 19inch LCD monitor, I was able to see a noticable difference
in terms of quality of display.
It's not because of resolution and I just couldn't tell exactly what the reason was.

And today, I helped my friend build his computer.
He connected it to his 50inch 1080p plasma TV, and I was easily able to tell that the quality was below any computer monitors that i've ever seen.

Another experience I had was that xbox360 connected to my 24inch LCD samsaung syncmaster monitor was so bad but my pc looks good on my monitor and my xbox360 looks good on my 27inch HDTV.

I came up with a conclusion that monitor is optimized for PC and gaming consoles are optimized for HDTV.

However, I don't really understand why it should be like that if resolutions for both monitor and TV are the same. No matter how hard I tweak the options on tv, it won't be able to immitate the monitor quality.

Could someone tell me why pc looks bad on TV?

When I google searched topics between monitor vs. TV, it seems everyone is talking about how small monitor could have higher resolution than big TV....and they kept talking about the resolution difference. It's true but it seems no one knows the truth that resolution isn't everything and pc looks much better on pc monitor.

Thank you in advance and hopefully someone will put an answer that can teach everyone a new lesson and they should never use TV as an alternative of computer monitor.
Edit 1: I am aware of cable qualities. I always use the top quality HDMI cables for both HDTV and LCD LED monitors so this is not the type of answers I am looking for.
Edit 2: I am also aware of quality of videocards and what they are capable of. I use ATI 6850 and my friend has 6870 and I tested on 1080p of monitor and 1080p tv so there is no difference in terms of resolution and quality of videocards used to test on diff display setting. That's not the answer I am looking for either. I am not talking about quality of computer or cable. I am only talking about TV vs. Monitor.



Answer
TVs tend to have lower resolutions in bigger screens, anf also have good built-in scaler chips (to scale non-native resolutions to the display) as they will have lots of different resolutions sent to them (probably 10+ just from different xbox games)

PC monitors don't have good scalers built-in (and some don't even have any at all!) making them rather rubbish for displaying non-native resolution input such as console games (1280X600 on a 1920X1080 screen? without a good scaler is ugly... and thats near best case scenario, some things like the wii are only at 852x480)

So yeah basically,
TV -> PC - low pixel density
Monitor -> Console - rubbish scaler.

I want to buy a HDTV 24 inch Monitor for PC?




emankcin


I already know i want a 1080p/i capable monitor, 2m or 5m, but what else should i look for. Such as contrast ratio and refresh timing.


Answer
The higher the refresh rate and contrast ratio the better for movie and TV watching. You really have to go and look at a monitor before buying. Don't buy it completely on specs. Manufacturers play around with numbers.

1080i is not 1080p ... to get true 1080p you need a resolution of at least 1920 X 1080. Some monitors are capable of 1920 X 1200 which is better for computing and can give you 1080p as well of course.

The number one thing to look for is amount of colour. I bought an Acer and the colour seemed washed out. I ended up buying a Samsung to watch movies and TV on in the livingroom and using the Acer for my computer. I can still watch blueray movies on the computer, but the higher contrast ratio and more colour on the Samsung makes movies and TV look better. But the Samsung is really dark for evil games which are at night or dark. So the Acer is fine for computer games. You don't really need rich colours for that. It has a faster response time of 2ms vs 5ms which is great for games.

The connections on the back of the monitor are really important too. You want at least two HDMI connections, a DVI and a component connection.

Remember, your video card has to support HDCP to watch blueray movies. I use a DVI to HDMI converter on the back of my video card and an HDMI cable to connect to the 24" Acer monitor's HDMI input. It has no DVI in, only VGA for computer.

So the more variety of connections on the back of the monitor, contrast ratio and richness of colour are very important. The sharpness of picture and bleeding of light around the edges of the screen is the reason you have to view before you buy. Also cheap monitors bleed colour between objects.

The stand is also an issue. If the monitor is on a table that moves, you can't have a wobbily stand.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: computer monitor vs. tv?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment