Wednesday, January 29, 2014

How good is the GeForce 8800 GTS?




Michael


I have an Intel Core 2 Duo e6550
2GB RAM at 667MHz
400GB HD 7200RPM
Vista Home Premium
24' HP Monitor at 1900x1200 Native Resolution

I'm willing to spend the money on this, I just can't afford the GTX or Ultra though, as long as I won't have to upgrade again for a while.

What's your opinion on whether or not this card is worth the money and if with my system, and a new power supply, I would be able to play all the newer games like Bioshock - maybe Crysis - and DX10 games?



Answer
It is very good. It is about twice as fast as an 8600 GT or GTS at about twice the price, and about half as fast as the GTX or Ultra at about half the price. At 1900x1200 resolutions, it is near the bottom of what works well.
For (old) comparisions see:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=854&model2=778&chart=279

Note that on some games, the 640MB vs 320MB versions makes little difference, while on others it is big (2 to 1)

For a good comparison tool with overclocking settings:
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=513&card2=475

Note that within a year or two, games will probably outstrip all of the current boards and the differences in the high end boards will become more noticable.

Gaming Monitor Recommendations?




JamesisJex


I'm wanting to make a gaming rig I already got some educated advice for cards and a cpu but one thing I'm going to need its a top notch monitor. My price range 150-250$. I'd like to pay the least amount possible but i do need the quality so recommendations?
Note, I'm considering 3D but I think it's a gimmick so I don't want to pay extra for it, but it would be cool.



Answer
Im very happy with the Dell U2311H I just purchased. If you want a monitor for movies AND games you should look into 1080p monitors (unless the black borders don't bother you, then a 1900x1200 should be fine).

The dell U2311H is an 8-bit ips monitor. All TN panels are 6-bit, and use dithering to display the full 16.7 million colors that a 8-bit panel can produce without dithering.

IPS is notorious for having a better picture and color reproduction than TN panels. IPS is also notorious for being slower, but with this 8ms Dell model I don't notice much difference coming from a 5ms TN. I play FPS games too and its fine for me.

Google tftcentral for some good reviews, check out some of the new monitors. If you are going for a TN panel I recommend the Samsung PX2370 LED or the XL2370-1 LED. IPS picture is much prettier though not quite as fast.

The Dell U2711 is a really good monitor as well that I may of considered if I wanted to spend three times the price.

I am convinced that the Dell U2311 (23inch) is the best monitor money can buy for around $250 US if you buy it with a sale and/or coupon. The 24 inch U2411 is $500 and is wide gamut - which is a whole different topic




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How good is the GeForce 8800 GTS?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment