Saturday, January 18, 2014

Did electromagnetic radiation actually damaged my brains or am I being hypochondriacal?

100 hz gaming monitor
 on ... CRTs und Konfiguration - Stromsparen beim Monitor: So wirds gemacht
100 hz gaming monitor image



Dallas M


I played computer games for quite a long while one day (for 15 hrs) in front of a CRT monitor. Then I felt a very very sharp pain in my head and my eyes stung badly. I had to go to sleep and the pain was relieved after that. Now, I am worried as to why I experienced such discomfort after using the computer and I looked up the internet to find that radiation from CRT monitors are harmful to humans and I am worried that my exposure to the long hours in front of the computer might have sent radioactive emissions which penetrated my skull and ionised cells of my brain. I can actually feel a little stupidier and I experience a little confusion during lectures in school and am quite forgetful recently. I can think about doing something and forget about what I was thinking about doing a few seconds and not remember it. Then I realise that " I have left my sandwhiches at home" or " I did not bring an important book for lesson" or " I forgot to buy the milk". Could it be due to brain damages?


Answer
No electromagnetic radiations.

You just played computer games for too long. It would have been the same with any monitor. You invested too much of yourself in video games.

Stop it for a while. Playing video games is not a questionable activity. It just must be one activity among others and not the main one; certainly not the only one, if ever.
A monitor works exactly the same way as a TV set. The frequencies of the electromagnetic waves sent by such monitors are relatively low; much too low to cause any physical damage. The radioelectric frequency sent by a classic video screen is in the average of 150 MHz (MHz stands for Mega Hertz), that is to say a bit higher that FM radio broadcatsing. Some handy people equipped with radio-receivers can catch it as any other common radio frequency, translate it into a video signal and reproduce it on another video screen so as see from distance what another person sees on one's computer's monitor. The range of this electromagnetic wave is in the surrounding of 100 to 150 yards, beyond which the signal is too weak to be received and properly "read."

The "picture frequency" of a classic monitor ranges from 50Hz to 100Hz (Hz stands for Hertz and one Herts means 1 time per second), that is to say a very low frequency. By "picture frequency" I mean the rate at which the electronic beam screen the frontal part of a cathodic tube. 50Hz to 100Hz mean in that case that this electronic beam screens it at a rate of 50 to 100 times every one second.

100 times is good, but 50 times (the lowest on a monitor) is too low and can cause headache and eyeache, exactly as when looking for too long at a common neon tube which produce light at a similar frequency.

To cause possible damage to your brain an electromagnetic frenquency must be in excess of 2GHz (GHz stands for Giga Hertz), that is to say about 20 times faster than what any monitor is capable. At a rate of 2GHz and more we are taliking about microwaves; the same as for the usual microwave that is in your kitchen and the same as for a radar, and the same as for a cellular phone. But to be dangerous those microwaves have to be sent with much intensity; and in that case it can burn the cells of your body; that is to say your skin. It is the case with a microwave oven and a military radar when one gets too close to it, whereas it is not the case with a cell phone which is far not powerful enough to be harmful.

What CPU and video card should I get for Guild Wars 2 or Battlefield 4?




Dominic


I got Guild Wars 2 and this Christmas I'm hoping to get a better video card and CPU because I know both go hand in hand. So what I'm looking for is "decent" framerate, you know, nothing really bad of a lag and nothing crisp over the top quality. All I want to do is just play the game smoothly, not minding a few framerate lags, something in the middle reason being is that I don't want someone to have to spend a lot of money for something I'll play occasionally. So here are my computer specs:

System-
Operating System: Windows XP Proffessional (5.1, Build 2600)
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Model: Optiplex 745
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.8 GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3062 MB of RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

Display-
Device-
Name: Intel(R) Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family
Chip Type: Intel(R) GMA 3000
Approx. Total Memory: 256 MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60 Hz)

Minimum Windows System Requirements for Guild Wars 2-
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or better
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or better
2 GB of RAM
NIVIDIA GeForce 7800, ATI X 1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256 MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)

I don't know if the cards listed are bare minimum (I'm not a PC gamer :P) so would appreciate if someone could just recommend the chip name and cost next to it.

A little side question, what CPU and video card would you need for Battlefield 4 in order for again, "decent" framerate? (I'm considering getting it depending on the cost of the cards I need) Otherwise, thanks ahead of time!



Answer
Ok, first thing's first.

Windows XP = not ideal, especially in light of the fact that it is 3 operating systems and almost 8 years out-of-date. Consider upgrading to Windows 7, at the very least. There are a lot of technical benefits to upgrading operating systems which I am NOT entirely familiar with, something along the lines of memory usage and CPU optimization.



On that note... You may want to totally discard your old computer and buy an entirely fresh one, or build one yourself.

I'm guessing you want to run BF4 relatively well. Guild Wars 2, I believe, does not require as many resources to one well, so we'll focus on the former.



For BF4 and Guild Wars 2, I'd suggest:

A quad-core CPU clocked at 2.8 GHz or better (I'm not overtly CPU literate, so you may want to do some research)

At least 8 GB of RAM (there are many types of RAM, again, you may want to do some research; I'm answering this off the top of my head)

An NVIDIA Geforce GTX 600 series Graphics card (I run with a 660 TI, which cost approximately $200, again do some research to find your prices and power range)

Data storage, monitors, keyboards, mice, all up to you.


The price for my PC was, in the end, approximately $2000.

However, on a personal score of 0 to 100 based on other PCs I've seen, it's around a 75.

You may want to aim lower, especially if your budget is a MAJOR concern.


Hope this helps.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Did electromagnetic radiation actually damaged my brains or am I being hypochondriacal?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment